Ne-Yo is opening up about how the forced quarantine due to COVID-19 helped save his marriage to Crystal Smith after filing for divorce.
“The whole quarantine thing was kind of a blessing,” the singer said on CBS’ “The Talk” on Tuesday, adding that he was able to spend more time with his family and really “lock back in” with his wife and kids.
Before the quarantine happened, we were definitely talking divorce,” Ne-Yo, 40, shared. “And the quarantine kind of forced us to sit still, block out the noise from the world, you know the world can get very, very loud, and we tend to let the world’s opinion mean more in certain situations than it should.”
The “Sexy Love” singer said that having “blatantly, painfully, brutally honest” conversations ultimately allowed each of them to see what they were doing wrong in the marriage.
We’re actually stronger now than we were before,” he said. “Now we feel like we can really talk to each other. I don’t know when it happened, but we got to place where we felt like we couldn’t just say it…and that almost broke us.”
Earlier this year rumors were swirling that the couple were calling it quits. Then in February, Ne-Yo singer revealed the couple had split after four years of marriage while on the “Private Talk” podcast with Alexis Texas. Meanwhile Crystal was posting subliminal messages on social media and hanging out with reality star Ryan Henry.
Then in April after the pandemic hit the “So Sick” crooner withdrew his petition for divorce and revealed he was quarantining with his estranged wife and children.
The couple are parents to sons Shaffer Chimere, 4, and Roman Alexander-Raj, 2.